StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · I'm tired of losing money - can someone give me something that works?<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
stephenmcmahon83
15 posts
msg #147249
Ignore stephenmcmahon83
4/9/2019 4:33:36 AM

Hi. Repulsive thread title, I know. But the reality is that I consistently lose money when trading and it is a soul-destroying feeling. Lately I feel like quitting.

Do any of you out there have a filter that produces steady returns for your accounts? I'm not looking to be a greedy pig, I just want something where I can make a bit of pocket money.

I'm open to all ideas at this point.

Thank you to anyone that can help.

Village Elder
231 posts
msg #147250
Ignore Village Elder
4/9/2019 7:51:36 AM

I would ask yourself a few questions, starting with

- Am I using systems that someone said "made them a lot of money" or ones where you can actually see and evaluate the historical performance during both good and bad periods of the market?

- Do I follow a system's instructions religiously and without change, or do I try to "get in ahead" of a signal?

- Do I stay in a losing trade when my system has indicated to cut losses and move on?

- Do I hop from one "holy grail" system to another after the first or second losing trade?

- Are my trading decisions emotional or intuitive, versus objective and disciplined?

Losing money sucks, but there is a reason why some traders win and others lose. Normally it has to do with being smart enough to develop an edge and being disciplined enough to trade that edge as it was designed.

If your answer to any of the above questions was YES, then my honest advice is to hand your money over to a financial planner and stop stressing out, or just invest in a lifecycle fund and try to relax.

four
5,087 posts
msg #147252
Ignore four
modified
4/9/2019 8:23:06 AM

..trade small relative to portfolio
..take small losses
..take larger gains
..align personality with trading system
-----------
Other strategies versus stock trading:
..investigate collecting dividends and trading less
https://www.buyupside.com/dividendachievers/achieversbroadmainaz.php
..investigate options
https://www.schwab.com/active-trader/insights/content/getting-started-options

ahcsim72
151 posts
msg #147257
Ignore ahcsim72
4/9/2019 11:34:11 AM

Don't ask for something like that... because they don't have one..lol
If there was a such filter, they wouldn't be posting it here and they wouldn't be here experimenting with different filters for years...lol
All you are going to hear an earful of what you've just heard so far.. disappointing, right?
Don't expect anyone to post any filters like that because they don't have it

shillllihs
5,963 posts
msg #147258
Ignore shillllihs
4/9/2019 11:39:48 AM

Identify the long term trend. Buy then add on dips.
Ignore the fake news designed to separate you from your position.
I have the long term trend as up, but that's just me. Basically don't trade but add.

graftonian
1,089 posts
msg #147259
Ignore graftonian
4/9/2019 12:11:18 PM

After years of only "ho hum" results, I have opened a Tastytrade IRA for me and my wife. Haven't had so much fun since the hogs ate my little brother. Trading mostly Iron Condors, Calendar, and Diagonal spreads, with an occasional buy of a call to satisfy my gambling urges. So far about a 10% monthly portfolio return.

The other responders have said "trade small and stick to the rules". I could not agree more.

Paper trading is OK, but nothing beats putting a few bucks where your mouth, or brain, or heart is. This morning I bet on PLUG, and it lost 33%. Yesterday the morning play was VTL, a 50% winner. Total money at risk, $13: total return, $17. No pain but very little gain, but a little careful analysis of the results might be the path to the holy grail.

In the past I favored small stocks, but options have given me access to the big boys (not to mention the low Tastytrade commissions). All my filters now begin with "optionable and average volume(30) greater than 5000000".
Good Luck and big bucks,
Graf

KSK8
561 posts
msg #147260
Ignore KSK8
modified
4/9/2019 12:17:00 PM

Ignore all these guys.

Fetcher[
market is NASDAQ
close > 15
Average Volume(30) > 200000

set{v1,CEMA(EMA(8),8)}
set{v2,CEMA(v1,8)}
set{v3, 3 * EMA(8)}
set{v4, 3 * v1}
set{v5, v3 - v4}
set{TEMA, v5 + v2}
draw TEMA on plot price
draw CEMA(low,9) on plot price

set{signal, count(TEMA crossed above CEMA(low,9),1)}
draw signal

set{sell, count(TEMA crossed below CEMA(high,9),1)}
draw sell

close > ma(200)
signal > 0
]

Combine this with an Ehlers's filter and you're set. Also, don't trade this on stocks with earning announcements. If this does not satisfy you then I suggest checking out some of TRO's old strategies.

GLTY!

BenH
32 posts
msg #147274
Ignore BenH
4/9/2019 8:59:48 PM

Bollinger Bands with the long term trend. Works fine for me. Good luck

Mactheriverrat
3,132 posts
msg #147276
Ignore Mactheriverrat
4/9/2019 9:22:23 PM

Quit trading with real money for awhile if your losing. Pick a filter go back by week, 2 weeks , months, Find which stocks have made nice runs. Study different filters

STUDY what works and what doesn't.

Self learning is has been the best guide for me and I have burned my account of twice over the last 9 years so your not alone in losing money.

Try using the ema13 over ma50 . Average Volume30 above 250000 . Look at breakouts and ascending triangles.

Study Guppy MMA's at the ema17 cross above ema50 is when the 2 Guppy group separate.

There is a big wealth of information of SF forums. Also one can study winning stocks on Twitter and Stocktwitts .

Don't mess with otcbb

After all its all the time in the world that you really have.

sandjco
648 posts
msg #147299
Ignore sandjco
modified
4/10/2019 7:55:15 PM

RE: study what works and what doesn't....from Mac

Amen to that. I was enamored with DMA until I found out what it does and does not do. I was enamored with RSI(2) until hit by the correction. edit: doesn't mean they don't work...just means you need to figure out yourself how you want to use them.

When things don't seem to work ....I stop and peel the onion.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · I'm tired of losing money - can someone give me something that works?<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.